Rapper Mac Miller’s Sept. 27 death by accidental overdose was confirmed by his final autopsy report, published Nov. 5.
Nearly two months after rapper Mac Miller died, the autopsy from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office has revealed that he succumbed to an accidental overdose of fentanyl, alcohol and cocaine.
The toxicology report, obtained by USA TODAY Monday, concluded the rapper, 26, died of “multiple drug toxicity.” That means while the amount of each individual drug in his system was not enough to kill him, the combination of the three drugs was.
Fentanyl, the same synthetic opioid that killed Prince in 2016, is 50 times stronger than heroin and typically kills by slowing breathing to the point of death. It is used to treat pain in cancer patients but the street version is often mixed with heroin and cocaine, and ingested by the user unknowingly.
Alcohol also slows the breathing rate, while cocaine, a stimulant, can cause a lethal heart rhythm. The National Institute on Drug Abuse says the combination of an opioid with cocaine creates an intense rush that is said to combine the highs of both drugs while suppressing the negative qualities of both drugs.
However, that pairing, known as a speedball, can prove a fatal combination, as in the case of comedian John Belushi, whose 1982 death resulted from taking them intravenously. Miller’s autopsy report noted the absence of needle marks but did mention the presence of a powder-crusted $20 bill, which suggested he snorted the drugs rather than injecting them.
According to the report, Miller was found unresponsive, kneeling on his bed in a “praying position” at his Los Angeles-area home on Sept. 27 by his assistant, who called 911 and was instructed to perform CPR until paramedics arrived. They pronounced him dead of an apparent overdose at the scene at 11:51 a.m. PDT.
The report also noted that Miller, whose real name was Malcolm James McCormick, had a history of abusing prescription and street drugs as well as alcohol, relapsing as recently as three days before his death.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/11/05/mac-miller-overdosed-fentanyl-cocaine-alcohol-coroner/1891524002/