Norah Jones is out with a new single, a collaboration with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy.
“I’m Alive” will be featured on Jones’ upcoming seventh album, “Pick Me Up Off the Floor,” due out May 8.
Jones handles vocals and plays piano while Tweedy is on electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass. Tweedy’s son, Spencer, tackles the drums. Despite the song’s easy-listening vibe, it tackles hard subjects.
In her smooth-yet-raspy voice, Jones sings such lyrics as: “She’s crushed by thoughts // At night of men // Who want her rights // And usually win // But she’s alive // Oh, she’s alive” and “He screams, he shouts // The heads on the TV bow // They take the bait // They mirror waves of hate.”
Jones’ most recent album, “Day Breaks,” dropped in 2016. Since then, she’s focused on short sessions with a variety of collaborators.
“Every session I’ve done, there’ve been extra songs I didn’t release, and they’ve sort of been collecting for the last two years,” Jones said in a news release. “I became really enamored with them, having the rough mixes on my phone, listening while I walk the dog. The songs stayed stuck in my head, and I realized that they had this surreal thread running through them. It feels like a fever dream taking place somewhere between God, the devil, the heart, the country, the planet and me.”
Listen to ‘I’m Alive’ below:
A nine-time Grammy winner, Jones has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide.
She’ll tour the country this year along with fellow singer Mavis Staples. Tickets are for sale at norahjones.com.
Norah Jones 2020 tour
- April 26: New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, New Orleans
- May 10: A Day In The Vines, Spicewood, Texas (with Patti Griffin, Mavis Staples and Sir Woman)
- May 12: Sandia Amphitheater, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- May 14: Anselmo Valencia Amphitheater, Tucson, Arizona
- May 15: Arizona Federal Theatre, Phoenix
- May 16: Fantasy Springs Resort, Indio, California
- May 20: Open Air Theatre, San Diego
- May 22: Greek Theatre, Los Angeles
- July 22: Thompson’s Point, Portland, Maine
- July 23: Burlington Waterfront Park, Burlington, Vermont
- July 24: Beach Road Weekend, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
- July 28: Celebrate Brooklyn, New York
- Aug. 1: Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel, New York
- Aug. 2: XPoNential Music Festival, Camden, New Jersey
- Aug. 4: MECU Pavilion, Baltimore
- Aug. 5: CMAC/Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center, Canandaigua, New York
- Aug. 7: Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/03/13/im-alive-norah-jones-debuts-single-pick-me-up-off-floor/5042613002/