A lawyer for Jussie Smollett said Tuesday that she would welcome cameras in the courtroom during the “Empire” actor’s trial on charges accusing him of lying to police. (March 12)
CHICAGO – A judge says cameras will be allowed in the courtroom during R. Kelly’s sexual abuse trial and pretrial hearings.
Cook County Associate Judge Lawrence Flood said during a brief hearing Friday that cameras will be allowed going forward, including at the next hearing on March 22. He says photos and video of accusers won’t be allowed without their consent, and that two have already expressed that they don’t give their consent.
The Grammy-winning R&B singer didn’t attend the hearing, but his lawyer did.
Another judge in the same courthouse has yet to decide if he’ll allow cameras to cover “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett’s case. Smollett, who pleaded not guilty to 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct Thursday, is accused of lying to police about being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack. His next hearing is set for April 17.
Cameras were allowed in court during the trial of Jason Van Dyke, a white former Chicago police officer convicted in the shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald.
Earlier this week, Smollett’s legal team said they welcomed cameras in the courtroom so the public could see the evidence for themselves.
Cameras were also allowed in court during the trial of Jason Van Dyke, a white former Chicago police officer convicted in the shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald.
Contributing: Jayme Deerwester, USA TODAY
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/15/r-kelly-judge-consider-allowing-cameras-courtroom/3172775002/